Times like these have brought about many changes in our society. The most prominent of which are the changes we can see when people greet each other. Now instead of ‘hello’s and ‘hi’s we can hear ‘omg it’s SO hot isn’t it?’s and ‘how can we stand out in this heat?’s.
But we should really keep in mind that we are the ones who brought this upon ourselves. Global warming is ofcourse one of the major reasons for this increase in temperature. And who caused this? Definitely not the poor animals and birds who have to suffer this heat along with us! Deforestation is another one of the other major causes of increasing heat nowadays. Not only does it increase the heat but it also destroys the habitats of so many living beings and puts them into the threat of extinction.
But what has happened has happened, there’s nothing we can do to change the past. The only thing we can do now is try to reduce the amount of damage it has caused and take care not to make the same mistakes again. PLANT TREES! That is definitely something we should do to protect our future generations. Reduce the use of motor vehicles and use public transport or cycles more often. Reduce the use of things which release harmful greenhouse gases like CFC into the atmosphere which in turn causes global warming, etc.
But even though all of these are important to reduce the heat in the future, what can we do now, to escape from this blinding heat? Here are some tips:
- Drink plenty of water. This helps your body stay hydrated and also cleanses out your body.
- Take a bath twice a day. This helps keep your body cool and helps in reducing the spread of many summer time diseases. But take care not to waste water.
- Apply sunscreen when you go out. This keeps you from being sunburnt and reduces the harmful effects of the sun’s rays on your skin. But take care to use only the best quality sunscreens.
- Consume lots of liquids during the summer. Watermelon, buttermilk, lemon, coconut water etc. provides cooling effect for the body and reduces internal heat.
- Do not wear tight clothes. Avoid wearing polyester or clothes which are in dark colours. Wear loose fitting cotton clothes to reduce heat the most.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol and too much caffeine on hot days.
- Avoid spicy and oily foods. This generates more internal body heat.
- Turn off the lights! All lights give out heat, so to reduce heat in your home make use of natural light as much as possible.
- Avoid intense activities like gardening, renovating etc during summer.
- Don’t forget your pets! Help them keep cool by providing them with baths more often, a cool towel to lie on, a place by the fan, plenty of fresh water etc.
So those are some of the things we can do to beat the heat this summer. But always keep in mind to protect our environment and to reduce or completely avoid activities that cause harm to the earth and increases heat. Remember that when we destroy the earth, we destroy ourselves.