So this is going to be a quick and super easy recipe for making yummy carrot halwa. I tweaked the orginal recipe (A LOT)… My version pretty much needs about 4 ingredients 😝 So here it is!
- Grated carrots – 2 1/2 cups
- Milk – 2 1/2 cups
- Sugar – 8 tablespoons
- Ghee – 2 tablespoons
- Mix the grated carrots and milk together in a pan.
- Keep on fire and allow the mixture to simmer and cook stirring occasionally.
- After 15-20 mins (when mixture has started thickening) add the sugar and ghee and mix well.
- When mixture is almost dry, take it off the heat.
- Garnish with dry fruits. (optional)
See, I told you it was super easy! I found the orginal recipe to be a bit complicated and that’s the reason I changed it a lot. It uses almond paste, cardamom and lots of dry fruits (I don’t like these in my desserts 😝). Be sure to check it out too!
With Diwali just around the corner, carrot halwa is just the thing to try out this coming weekend. I hope you’ll try it out and I know you’ll love it!
Untill next time. Thank you for reading!
PS: I can’t believe that this is my 5th recipe on my blog!! I never thought that I’d be posting recipes let alone cooking all these dishes when I started my blog!! If you’d like to read the recipes to the other delicious delicacies I’ve tried out before, you can find the link HERE!!!
Last week during my 10 day vacation (which went by very very fast) after the first term in school, I tried baking this cake and I absolutely loved it! Its very simple and you guys should really really try it out!
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 3 – 9 inch round cake pans. In medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa, and whisk until smooth. Set aside to let the mixture cool. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in another bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at time, then stir in vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture. Spread batter evenly between the 3 prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
- The time needed to bake it will vary according to each oven. I had to bake it for an extra few minutes.
- If you like you can add cream between the layers and pour melted dark chocolate over the assembled cake or add choco chips or decorate it in any other way you like.
- I ate it with butterscotch ice cream and it was simply yum!
I hope you’ll try this because it’s a must-try for all chocolate lovers! If you don’t like dark chocolate you can use milk chocolate or any other chocolate you like. Enjoy!
PS: The pictures aren’t that great…
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Onions – 2 nos, thinly sliced
- Ginger – 1 inch piece, chopped
- Garlic – 10 cloves, chopped
- Curry leaves – about 20 leaves
- Coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons, finely chopped (to garnish)
- Tomato – 1 small, chopped
- Coriander powder – 2 tablespoons
- Red chilly powder – 1 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground spices (cardamom, cloves and cinnamon) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil – 4 tablespoons
- Heat the oil, add ingredients 3 and 4 and saute for 1/2 mins.
- Add ingredient 2 and stir till it turns light to golden brown.
- Add ingredients 8 to 13 and stir till aroma arises.
- Add ingredient 7 and stir.
- Add water, about 3 cups.
- When the gravy begins to boil, add the chicken.
- Cook till chicken cooks well and gravy is desired consistency (add more water if necessary).
- Add ingredient 5 and remove from the stove.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
This is my mother’s recipe the way she makes it. Chicken curry is one of my personal favourites which I enjoy most with either chappatis or white bread. I hope you guys will definitely try it out and I hope you’ll love it!
Until next time!
240 grams strawberries, stemmed and sliced
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pint vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup milk
Blend half of strawberries, 1/4 tsp. vanilla, 1 cup ice cream and 2 Tbsp. milk in blender until smooth. Pour into 2 glasses. Repeat with remaining strawberries, vanilla, ice cream and milk. Serve immediately.
Just something else I tried today. Hope you’ll try the recipe and enjoy!
So it’s really really hot here and I thought I’d post something to deal with the heat. Its really tasty and helps a lot to cool down your body in this heat. Hope you’ll try it. Enjoy!
1. Lemon – 2 nos.
2. Sugar – 6 tablespoons
3. Mint leaves – 10 nos.
4. Ginger (finely chopped) – 1 teaspoon
5. Chilled water – 3 cups
6. Ice cubes – 1/2 cup
Blend the mint leaves, sugar and ginger in a mixer. Juice the lemons and add along with chilled water to this mixture. Serve in tall glasses adding ice cubes as necessary.
It’s a simple recipe and I hope that you’ll try it out. Right now I’m staying at Sharoy Resort, Wayanad, Kerala, India. It’s really great here and I’ll be posting a review in a few days. So this evening we had lime juice and chicken sandwiches and it was really good.
Here’s one more picture that I took. (I had the plain lime. I’m not too keen on mint 😉 )
Untill the next post then!